Dr. Makoto Nagao, the first president of the
Asia-Pacific Association for Machine Translation (AAMT), received the
Japan Prize last year, and he conferred part of his prize money to
AAMT with the objective of assisting our work. With these funds, we at
AAMT have established the AAMT Nagao Award.|
The Nagao Award is given in recognition of individuals or groups
who have contributed to research and development leading to or
facilitating commercialization of machine translation systems.
The Nagao Award differs from academic awards given for papers or
presentations; it is awarded, for example, for contributions to
the commercialization of high performance machine translation
systems, for the launch of new services utilizing machine
translation systems, and so on. At the same time, however, the
award of course does not exclude research results that also have
- (1)Masao Utiyama and Eiichiro Sumita Multilngual Translatioin Laboratory, Universal Communication Research Institute, National Institute of Information and Communications Technology
Research and practical realization of statistical translation technologies by independent excution of word seletion and word reordering and service realization of the high-performance machine translation system depends on the technology transfer to the plural companies are remarkable achievement. From the perspective of the award's objective, "contributions to the commercialization of high performance machine translation systems" or "the launch of new services utilizing machine translation systems", they deserve The Nagao Prize.
- (1)Miori Sagara President & CEO Baobab,Inc
- For establishing a "crowd-sourced translation" platform using
Parallel Corpus-based techniques, in addition to creating a community
centered around foreign exchange students being interested in language
translation, and building an affordable human-based translation business;
For demonstrating results in actual usage by internet shopping companies,
IT associated companies and universities, and creating a new inroad for
new MT based businesses in a new era which heavily utilizes internet-based
machine translation, The Nagao Prize is awarded to Baobab,Inc. in recognition of their excellence.
- (1)FUJITSU LABORATORIES LTD. Machine Translation R&D Group
- Long-term contributions to the advancement of machine translation
technologies and utility through research and development of corpus-based language
resource construction methods and technologies for putting machine translation to
- (1)AAMT Working Group 3 (Sharing/Standardization)
- Working group 3 has developed and released an
easy-to-use, open dictionary format UTX. UTX provides effective means for
improving machine translation accuracy as well as the quality of computer
assisted translation and interoperability of user-created dictionaries. UTX
is valuable because it has the potential to grow into an international
standard in addition to its use in various specialized domains such as ICT
localization, open source efforts, education, government, medical, legal,
and many other areas.
- (1)Minna no Hon'yaku Development and Management Team
- (1)Toshiba Solutions Corporation & Toshiba Corporation
- Realization of the technology for translation precision improvement, alleviating user's burden due to user's knowledge acquisition
- (2) AAMT Internet Working Group
- For outstanding publicity activities for the Asia-Pacific Association for Machine Translation
- (1)Sharp Corporation
- Research, development, and application of a hybrid translation system,
featuring text translation software products and speech translation
prototypes, based on a unique, advanced translation memory engine
and a conventional translation engine.
- (2) NEC Corp. & Kodensha Co., Ltd.
- Commercialization of Multilingual Machine Translation Service for Mobile Phone
- (1)Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International Spoken Language Communication Research Laboratory
- Research and development of statistical and example-based MT and provision of the multilingual speech translation service for mobile phones
- (1)Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd.
Corporate Research and Development Center
Machine Translation Research Group
- Development and operation of "epoch-making"
MT systems and services
- (2) NEC Media and Information Research Laboratories
- Research and development toward practical use of speech
translation system for hand-held devices